From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 1997 23:50:43 -0800
 Tami and others:  At the risk of being brash...It is commonly believed
that milk thistle (carduus marianus) is a liver detoxifier.  This is not
it's primary biologic action.  Milk thistle is helpful as an adjunct
therapy in liver detoxification, such as in alcoholism or ecological
pollutantss, because IT ASSISTS IN THE REGENERATION OF TISSUE.  It is
considered anabolic (building up), as opposed to catabolic (breaking down).
The danger in consuming catabolic detoxifiers while lactating is that
toxins/pesticides and excess fat soluble vitamins (A, E, D, and K) will be
liberated in large quantities into the breastmilk.  This is not what milk
thistle does unless it is consumed with another herb or a catabolic
detoxifier (such as Oregon Grape/Berberis aquifolium, yellow dock, gentian,
or dandelion).  Blessed or Holy thistle (Carduus Marianus), as you
recommend, is commonly used for lactating mothers, but I do not believe it
is appropriate for you or anyone else to COMMAND that a lactating mother
stop taking something unless you can back it up with some reasoning.  I'd
also like to suggest that along with common names of herbs, we start
referring to them by their botanical identifiers because there are many
herbs that sound alike but DO have vastly different functions.
RespectfuLLLy,
Chris

: )Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC  email: [log in to unmask]  : )
: )HSR & Health Educational Consultant        voice/fax: 541 753 7340   : )
: )             **CHANGE THE WORLD, NURTURE A CHILD!**