Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Feb 1997 09:20:45 PST
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
I have been very upset at the line of posts regarding circumscision.  There are a number of points to be made here:

First: This is a forum for lactation dialogue.  With the volume of mail that I receive from this site on a daily basis, I would like to request that we limit our posts to information and questions that are DIRECTLY related to breastfeeding.  Opinions about people's religious observance is inappropriate and offensive.

Second: We know that hospital circumcision can effect breastfeeding for many reasons.  Those of us who chose to have our sons circumcised for religious reasons found very little effect on breastfeeding.  Perhaps it is the way they are prepped, handled and starved in a hospital that produces this effect.

Third: Should we discuss her the psychological damage done to children who are told a lie through a good part of their lives and then one day told "Ha, ha- I was only kidding, There is no Santa Claus."

Now I want all of you who were peeved and offended by the last statement to stop and feel the feeling in the pit of your stomach.  Jews around the world are put through this feeling often.  Our practices are different than yours, perhaps.  But I really think that it is very personal.  I would appreciate all of those who object to the religious practice of others to find another forum in which to express your ideas.

Stepping off her soapbox now,
Barbara Leshin-Zucker, IBCLC
Highland Mills, NY

ATOM RSS1 RSS2