From:
"Laurel R. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 20:15:49 -0600
Hello everyone, I had hoped to lurk a while longer before jumping in, but
have run into a situation that I'm stumped by. Please add your cumulative
knowledge.

I'm Laurel Smith, Mom of 3 breastfed babies, now ages 8, 6, and 4. I am a
LLL leader with 6 years experience, a former WIC breastfeeding peer
counselor, and future nursing student and LC, it will be several years
before we get that far, but it's in the plans. We live in San Antonio, TX
with our 3 birds and 1 lizard. I have my own home business and volunteer at
the local zoo.

Here is an excerpt from my help form:

>I am now 30 weeks pregnant and I have had reoccuring problem with one of my
breasts every 2-3 weeks it becomes very sore, swollen, and very hard.  I
have seen my doctor each time and have been
>placed on an antibiotic 3 different times(for what she calls Mastitis or
clogged milk glands).  My doctor is sending me to a Breast surgeon which I
will see in the next couple of weeks.  My doctor also said that she has
never heard of someone who is pregnant for the first time having this problem.
>I very much want to breastfeed my baby, but now my doctor says that maybe
it is better not to since I have had this problem
>4 times now.  She has examined my breast each time and doesn't really think
that there is a genuine concern, but to be on the safe side she is sending
me to see a breast surgeon.  Have you heard of this problem occuring in
someone who is pregnant
>for the first time.  Do you have any suggestions or helpful information.
Thank You very much!

I so want to get this figured out so she can resume her pregnancy with hope
for breastfeeding. I hven't dealt with this and have an extremely limited
library to dig into. Boy do I need to do some book shopping!
TIA

Laurel Smith
San Antonio, TX