From:
Joyce Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 1996 10:58:01 -0700
Anna wrote:
> I spent a long time talking to my friend with the severely allergic baby
> about various issues leading up to this and about relactation.
>
> Most people are pretty negative about the possibility of relactating
> (breastfeeding counsellors, as well as many of her friends and family)
> and the few positive things we have discovered are mostly from the Net.
> She was glad to hear you did not think her crazy to come up with this
> idea. The big problem I am coming up against is that she is frightened
> to speak to a BC because she thinks they will try to discourage her or
> think her a nut; and she has lost faith in all healthcare providers
> (including voluntary BCs).
> mind (I really genuinely like the girl) but I am not trained (although I
> am learning fast) and have no support for *me* in dealing with these
> terribly upsetting issues.

 It sounds like she is always undermining her success.  First she lets
people who aren't supportive drag her down or misinform her.  She
ignores her intuition.  Then she comes to you, who admits not having
training.  She now refuses to call anyone that does have training even
to see if they might be supportive.

  She has had infertility problems, which could have to do with the 2nd
chakra since the reproductive organs are found there.  It contains
memories, emotions and info. about how we relate to other people,
according to Christine Northrup,M.D. in Women's Bodies Women's Wisdom.
She Says, "The health of this area is affected by the dgree to which our
relationships are based on issues of control, blame, and guilt."

  I'm not saying that I talk to women I help with bf about those things
(in fact I never have) but it can be helpful to know so you can
communicate and encourage her in a way that recognizes those issues
might exist for her.

  I give lots of written literature for moms I help with relactation so
they can really digest the how to as well as the fun success stories
(which include everything from full milk supply stories to nurturing at
the breast with no milk).

  We have one mom still coming to our LLLmeetings who adopted a newborn
last year and used sns all the time and she said when her baby turned
about 9 months old her milk supply really increased.  I thought that was
interesting.  If I remember correctly she never has even been pregnant
before.
  It was so cool how she was so devoted and used the sns at the breast
even in public.  She didn't like supply questions and told people so.
She shares her success with other adoptive moms whenever she can.

-Joyce Mitchell LLL in Orem, Utah