Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Patricia Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 1997 02:24:07 +0000
If Marsha Walker is on maybe she can give the reference from Jeanne Watson
Driscoll on the grief process that takes place after birth.  It was an
article and then I think it was expanded in the special NACCOG issue on BF.
I haven't been teaching for 2 years now and all my good references are
slipping away......
see what talking to short kids all day does to your brain!  But they are so
cute.  We only have beautiful babies and children in our practice!

Yes, I think drugs have some effect on the whole process.  Remember the
"good old days" when everyone wanted to be awake and aware!  But we also
have to remember bonding is a process, not an event.  Remember Reva Rubin's
work on the development of maternal identity and the process a new mom goes
through.  This is all still valid.  Just because we toss mom out the door
the day after birth doesn't mean she has worked her way through this
process.  The c sec mom is in a double jeopardy situation, emotionally and
physically.

It seems to me that cultures where mom delivers in her own home and is
supported and cared for by women in her circle have a better chance.  We
really stress the new mom by putting her in a strange environment with
strange Rules!  Pat