From:
Paula Bermingham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 17:09:06 -0800
To all on Lactnet -

        A recent post *questioned* the IBCLC as the professional
designation, or so it seemed. The idea that *anyone* can hang out a shingle
is a reality.

Ten years ago, I certified through the IBLCE. I am not a nurse (got awfully
close, before changing major)
After I originally certified, MDs literally screamed at me YOU'RE NOT A NURSE.

Five years ago, I started my current position as WIC BF coordinator. Am now
welcome on the floor of one local hospital to "do rounds", so to speak (no
God complex ...just encouragement ). The MD who Screamed said it would be
great if I visited the moms postpartum.

And NOW...a new hospital opens its OB doors and low and behold they print a
brochure claiming Lactation Consultants. So, I call them up because I would
love to have many many LCs around. But, I find out that the OB nurses are
being billed as LCs.

So, the saying is true ... imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

This is encouraging.

Also, I shared with the OB nurses -my- reason for having two (of my five )
kids at home, attended by certified nurse midwives, preregistered at the
local (two different hospitals in two different counties) as a home birth
patient. My husbands insurance paid 80% of the cost of the whole thing. The
insurance would have paid it all if an MD had attended the births. This
insulted the CNMs, as well it should!

But, I just chatted with the OB nurses, and in a friendly way let them know
that, MY concerns weren't so much based on interventions with the birth
process. I felt confident and actually *enjoy* being in labor (yeah, maybe
that's a little different too). But my concern was that I wanted people
surrounding me after the birth who really respected the newborn, and would
not want anything going down his/her little throat except coplostrum.
(barring any real medical emergency)

Well, being an introvert.. it took awhile for the nurses and MDs to get to
know me. And things are changing slowly. All the great publicity that BF
gets and WIC putting an emphasis on BF are Good Things.

And, a few months ago my daugter (age 20) gave me the best compliment. She
isn't planning to start a family soon but out-of-the-blue she says "mom, if
I have a baby will you be there, right there. Because I wouldn't want anyone
to feed the baby any thing unless it was *really* necessary. So, If you're
there you would know if it was necessary." (What a sweet girl, no she's not
expecting - just a day dreamer)

I said all she has to do is let the Hospital OB staff know that her last
name is Bermingham and no one would touch that kid with ABM. This little
story got a chuckle (and agreement) from a couple of health dept nurses.
Assertiveness sometimes gets mistaken for aggressiveness. Not by any fault
of the assertive person, just by way of disrupting the status quo.

So, that's my $.02. Thanks

Paula Bermingham, IBCLC
WIC BF Coordinator, Lake CO. CA