From:
Jean Geary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 1997 22:58:03 -0500
Hello Lactnetters!

I'm Jean Geary, and I've been involved INFACT Canada for the past six years,
currently as fundraiser.  For those of you unfamiliar with INFACT, it is a
non-profit organization which protects, promotes and supports breastfeeding,
both in Canada and internationally through newsletter production, resource
distribution, government lobbying, and health professional and public
education.  INFACT is the North American representative for the
International Baby Food Action Network (IBFAN).

I'd like to respond to two recent posts, one on awareness of the WHO Code
among charitable organizations in Third World countries, and the other on
breastfeeding promotion in Central America.

For the past two years, INFACT has been providing financial support to our
sister organization, IBFAN Africa.  Workers there travel the continent
giving health professional training courses on breastfeeding and WHO/UNICEF
initiatives.  They also are involved in government lobbying and generating
public and media awareness.

Generous support from the Canadian International Development Association
(CIDA) has enabled us to launch a similar program with our IBFAN partners in
Mexico, Central and South America.  CIDA's funding for this program is a
strong testimonial to the effectiveness of our international work,
particularly at a time when many organizations have been cut back.  With the
increase in funding, however, comes the challenge of raising the "match".
If you are interested in supporting these programs, please e-mail INFACT at
[log in to unmask]  (Unfortunately, our web-site is temporarily off-line.)

Warmest wishes to you all.