Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 1997 13:27:03 +0900
> JB>> Is there any way to keep a group of drones alive over the winter ?

I have this problem as well.  I can't start breeding until about the
middle of June because there are no drones till then. I wonder if anyone
has any experience of keeping a colony headed by an drone laying queen
alive over the winter?

> JB>Just today one beekeeper told me that he observed perhaps 100 drones
>   >in a queenless family. He said that there was no brood in the comb,
>   >so these drones most likely survive the winter.
> Like Andy my first thought was that this was caused by laying workers
but queenless hives *do* keep their drones much longer that queenright
colonies so it may be correct that this hive maintained its drones all
winter.  If it had been laying workers then I would have expected to
find some drone brood.  However those drones would be very old and, I
think not much use for breeding.

Harry
Scotland.