Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 19:32:36 +0800
Stan Sandler wrote:

> >Here in Scotland most beekeepers are members of the Scottish Beekeepers
> >Association which runs an Insurance scheme.  The summary of cover is as
> >follows:-
> >Product and Product Liability cover
> >Loss by fire:   Loss by theft:   Loss by vandalism:   Loss by AFB or
> >EFB.  The max compensation per stock is #70.
> >
> >The cost of this is as follows:-
> >
> >1 - 10 stocks----Free:  11 - 20----#2:   21 - 30----#4   31 - 4----#6
> >and over 40----#8.
>
> Hi Harry and All:
>
> What about liability?  We have a local insurance company here on Prince
> Edward Island that is very popular and usually very good (PEI Mutual).
> While they cover all hives on my own property for both loss and liability
> (but not for disease) they want an exorbitant fee to cover me for liability
> when I move the hives off the farm for pollination or forage ($2 per hive).
> I wonder has any beekeepers associations in Canada managed to get beehives
> covered under one of the crop insurance or livestock stabilization schemes
> that we have?
>
> Regards, Stan

Stan,
Yes we are also covered for liability insurance but I don't know for how
much.  I tried to get in touch with our insurance convener but he is
probably on holiday (Easter holidays over here!) If you are *really*
keen to know details I will give him a phone later in the week. I don't
think that it would be possible to get a good price on your own you will
have to go for it as an association.  There are *not* a lot of
beekeepers in Scotland so if we can do it I am sure you will manage.  Do
you have a Canadian *National* beekeepers association?  That would be
where to stir it up.

Harry
Scotland.