From:
Pearl Shifer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 00:16:57 PST
Hi, Jay, I wish that prednisone was "AAP approved", but did not find that
in Hale, that phrase was not used. The good news is it also did not state
"AAP cause for concern".But it wasn't that simple. In the Briggs little
drug book, they say that it is OK to breastfeed with prednisone, but
also doesn't say "AAP approved".

For the record, YOU know and I know and all Lactnetters know that this
medication is OK, is used for newborns, etc; but doctors' OPINIONS often
count more than SCIENTIFIC FACT with uninformed patients, and those
opinions will be negative towards breastfeeding if the doctor or
doctor's wife did not breastfeed their own children.

Thanks to all who responded to my original post on this subject; you have
all given me the courage to pursue it as much as possible with the
mother, giving her as much information as possible.

Pearl Shifer, IBCLC