From:
Jack Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 1997 22:31:28 -0500
Aren't there any psychiatrists out there who support breastfeeding????
What the hell do they teach them in psychiatry school?  Make sure the
depressed woman really gets depressed by lording it over her to make
her stop breastfeeding just to add to everything else that's happening
to her?  So many women have told me "The only thing I feel good about
is the breastfeeding, and they want to take that away from me!"

What is safe depends on your point of view.  If, as I do, you believe
there are great risks to formula feeding and that there are risks to
the family unit when a mother is "forced to wean" in the context of
clinical depression, then antidepressants seem relatively safe.  Most
of the tricyclics are compatible with breastfeeding, and any of the
SSRI antidepressants are also relatively safe, especially sertraline
(Zoloft).

There is no evidence that these drugs cause any harm to the baby,
though the emphasis is on "no evidence".  But there is evidence that
formula has risks, even at four months.  For crying out loud, the
woman should be able to make her own decision, and get support from
her husband, the clod.  But that is in the "best of all worlds" I
suppose.

"Breastmilk is guilty until proved innocent.  Formula is innocent
until proved guilty."  RS Short