From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 1997 09:16:35 -0600
I forgot to mention one great scene, where the doctors are telling the
parents that they shouldn't take their son to Johns Hopkins for the diet
therapy because it hasn't been proven through double-blind studies, and the
parents flinging right back in their faces that there have never been
double-blind studies of the drug therapies they were recommending, nor
double-blind studies of the surgical alternatives.

Reminded me of a conversation I had with a researcher who studies infant
feeding and autism and poo-poohs all the breastfeeding research because it
wasn't done as random-assignment to breast or bottle research, but accepts
without question all the evidence that smoking is harmful, even though there
have never been random-assignment to smoking or non-smoking research.

Katherine A. Dettwyler, Ph.D.
Texas A&M University