From:
Katharine West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 1997 00:09:47 -0800
Dr. Jelliffe once shared with his UCLA public health class (Human Milk
in the Modern World) why whales born in captivity often die. Marine
mammals nurse while swimming in a straight line. The mother's wake
"lifts" the young nursling up against her milk ducts (quite a latch-on
feat!). The tanks of various marine parks are not long enough for this
feeding behavior (the forced turn interrupts the wake). Without being
able to create a swimming wake, the nursling cannot successfully feed.
Whale milk is especially high in fat content and difficult to replicate
in formula, which is why killer whales have an especially high infant
mortality rate in captivity. I guess dolphins have it somewhat easier,
but even the vets know that mother's milk is best. I wonder if the human
breast pump is effective (and what must the mother dolphin think?!).
Reminds me of my job in peds GI research when I milked a rat once - we
got a little less than an ounce altogether (she had 8 pups), very tiny
teats to be sure, and only done under full anesthesia!! (not the most
cooperative mom I ever worked with)!

Katharine West, BSN, MPH
Sherman Oaks, CA