From:
Katharine West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 1997 19:38:32 -0800
In responding to Janet's posting of Jan 18, my I say my info is from
grand rounds while working in Peds GI research:

The formula in question (C-------- G--- S----)(a subsidiary of N------
and thus the only presence of N----- in the U.S. market, BTW) is a
protein hydrolysate formula. In general, hydrolysated means that the
(bovine) protein molecule is super-heat treated in order to break it
down somewhat; the proteins have been hydrolyzed, or pre-digested if you
will, into free amino acids (the building blocks of protein). It
provides for "easier digestibility" because the protein cell wall is
"semi-pre-digested" by this heat treatment.  C G-S apparently does a
*partial* heat-treatment, which puts their product slightly in the
"hypoallergenic" category, but does not completely eliminate lactose
sensitivity responses (remember their original ads? The FDA made them
withdraw on that point).

A heat-treated protein molecule does create a smaller curd, and is *less
likely* (but still possible) to stimulate an antigen response. It is
this heat process that decreases, but does not eliminate (as noted in
the original posting), lactose intolerance and sensitizations. It is
reportedly an expensive process which is why the general ABM products do
not use it. There is also a *full* heat-treatment process which is used
in manufacturing the expensive specialty prescription products such as
Pregestimil, etc.

Of course, the smallest milk curd comes from human breast milk.

An aside: although to hydrolyze a product is a more expensive process, C
G-S is usually the least expensive ABM in the U.S. market (the least
expensive is usually C-------- F------U-). Why? I was told it was to
allow C-------- (read: N-----) to "get a piece of the action" away from
the Big 2 companies. There is a known 97% label affinity for the ABM
used first by a mother (she's more likely to use the 1st ABM with
succesive children, no matter what gift pak she's sent home with.) It is
a shrewd market strategy which they are hoping will eventually pay off,
at which point, I'm sure the price will increase.

Katharine West, BSN, MPH
Sherman Oaks, CA