From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 1997 14:44:13 -0700
I just wanted to add my experience to some of the recent posts about ear
infections.  Our experiences with our six adopted children have gone
along with the premise that breastmilk is largely protective.  Two of
them recieved only ABM for several months before starting to recieve
some BM and in both there was a dramatic improvement in their health
that occurred immediately with the addition of some BM. Of these two,
one had constant ear infections for three months which went away and
stayed away as long as he was getting some amount of breastmilk.  The
other had a few ear infections while recieving BM, but they were not as
severe as those she'd had previously.  Of the other four, there has not
been one ear infection while they were recieving BM.

I'm sure there are other factors involved, such as the anatomy of the
inner ear. I have wondered if maybe racial background has anything to do
with it.  Also, I suspect that totally BM fed babies who have ear
infections do not experience the severity that they would on ABM.

Aloha,
Darillyn Starr