From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Dec 1996 21:19:41 -0700
Heidi,

The first thing I would want to know is who decided this baby needed the
lactose free formula and why.  Many babies are put on them who either
need them temporarily, due to intestinal inflammation, or do not need
them at all.  A baby who is truly lactose intolerant is rare.

In the absence of any convincing evidence of lactose intolerance, I
would suggest trying to switch him to a milk based formula that has a
high percentage of whey protein vs casein, like Enfamil or Carnation
Good Start.  If you can get him nursing, with any amount of breastmilk,
it would be wonderful.  Getting a baby that age to convert from bottle
to breast can be a challenge, but is possible with enough patience and
creativity.  My fourth adopted child did not become a nursing baby until
right before her first birthday.  I just heard from a mother I have been
corresponding with who adopted a nine month old Chinese baby.  It took
some doing but, after about six weeks, she is now nursing well with the
Lact-Aid and getting several ounces a day of breastmilk.  If you would
like more detailed suggestions on this, let me know!  Good luck!

Aloha,
Darillyn Starr