Date:
Sun, 15 Dec 1996 23:41:39 +0000
Hi All,
I know this is a bizarre reason to allow test weighing, but I allowed
Alice to be test weighed when we were in NICU, for the staff's sake. I
was probably the first exclusively breastfeeding mother many of the
nurses had ever seen (almost all mothers were pumping for their sick
babies - mine was able to nurse despite her illness). Alice had been
rushed in with very severe haemolytic jaundice but I had a very forward
thinking Ped who did not believe in using formula in such situations.
Alice was on triple phototherapy (above, below and either side) and was
kept hydrated by two IVs of dextrose. I was told to nurse her on demand,
which increased gradually as the IVs were turned down.

I was confident of this scheme, but the NICU staff were very worried,
especially since my records of her feeds indicated that Alice was
spending a maximum of 7 minutes at the breast *in total* (too little
time according to their textbooks, especially as they were used to weak
premies) and she was also only nursing every 4 hours (her appetite being
somewhat suppressed by the IVs).

Every time I nursed, I would attract a small number of staff watching
curiosly and asking questions ("Does it hurt?", "How do you know she's
getting anything?", "How can you know you've got milk if you don't
pump?"). Their ignorance horrified me - no wonder so many of the other
mothers didn't have a clue! (there is no hospital lactation nurse at
all). I told them as much as I could about bfing and the mechanics - as
much as they would listen and most were amazed but a little sceptical
(demand feeding has yet to make it's mark on NICU, I think). Eventually,
I suggested test weighing to convince them that Alice was actually
getting something and it wasn't my imagination. She had taken 5.5 fl oz
in a little under 7 minutes. They were amazed.

It was this experience that has motivated me to look into doing
*something* about the appalling lack of breastfeeding knowledge in my
country. The NICU staff were so enthusiastic - they really wanted me to
succeed in bfing, but they were also horribly ignorant. Alice's test
weighing was the talk of the unit - I hope it's made them think and ask
a few questions at the very least.
--
Anna (mummy to Emma, born 17th Jan 1995 and Alice, born 11th Sept 1996)
Email: [log in to unmask]  Web Page: http://www.ratbag.demon.co.uk/anna