From:
Jan Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 1996 09:37:18 -0500
Hi all,

Sudden thought -- and maybe a rhetorical question, but here goes:  Why is it,
that when women who aren't particularly interested in bf, think of bf, they
think of cows.  "I felt like a cow"  "I don't want to be like a cow"  "My
husband calls me Elsie"  (and the list goes on....)  Every other mammal in
the WORLD feeds their babies from their breast -- that's why they are called
mammals.  Why then do we associate ourselves with cows -- which is not a
particularly flattering picture (nice as they may be).  We don't exactly lie
around all day chewing our cud and afflicting the ozone with methane gas.
 Frankly, truth be known, if I was to think of myself as an animal (besides a
human animal), I'd rather think of myself as a bear, because when I think of
anything harming my children, I react as a mother bear defending her cubs.
 And actually, going into hibernation until the babies are grown, and just
nursing them sounds rather nice...though I'd probably read while in
hibernation, and maybe go on Lactnet :)

Guess my question is, given that all mammals nurse their young, why do we
picture ourselves as cows?  (Why not goats?  At least we both have kids!)

Jan Barger, waxing less than philosophical here in Wheaton....