From:
Jack Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jan 1997 19:32:41 -0500
I don't think you should get hung up too much on exact times.  There
are many situations which may require a different approach.  If the
baby is going to be separated from his mother for only a short period
of time, say 24 hours, it may not be necessary to pump at all.
However, starting pumping even in this situation sends a message--we
think this is important and it is important you get your milk supply
established.  Then you give the baby the colostrum, even mixed with
water or sugar water, again to let everyone know "this is important
stuff".

I agree that this thing about Hispanic women not nursing at all for 3
or 4 days then going on to breastfeed perfectly is a lot of hockum.
We hear the same thing about Vietnamese women, and Aboriginal women,
and South Asian women, and many of them do not succeed at all, and
many others have real problems.  If a woman has a really good milk
supply, as many do even without nursing for the first few days, it can
go fine, but otherwise, no way.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC