From:
Julius Edlavitch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 1996 16:53:32 -0500
I am sending the list serve a copy of the letter from Sue Aronson MD who is
a pediatrician and very involved with the American Academy of Pediatrics(AAP)

I know the past history of this organization relative to lactation is less
than stelar. The good news is that the past is just that and the future is
now. I thought a lot of you would feel great to see amny of your efforts
are paying off. I am pleased that something that I feel is essential to
pediatrics is really being paid attention too.

Last Monday night December 16th at 10PM during the International Pediatric
Chat lactation hour, we had an incredible session discussing to whom can
pediatricians turn to get help for their lactating mothers. This coming
Monday we will discuss Drugs and Lactation and in particular what are good
references for this subject. The following week we will discuss criteria
for a baby friendly hospital. I already know the criteria for a baby
friendly chat channel. No finantial support now or ever from formula
companies.

All professionals invited to our chat sessions
for information and technical directions go to
http://www.pedschat.org

Below is the most recent letter:

Thanks Sue
Hope to hear from Chat with you next Monday about drugs and Nursing
<Ruth Lawrence should be on the line if she can.  Why don't you call her
and see if she can get her the technical support to be there?  I gave
you her contact information at the University of Rochester, Drugs and
Breastfeeding hotline when we were on the chat line.  Another good
person to have on line is Chet Berlin at Hershey.  He is chair of the
AAP Drug Committee and has done some direct research on drug transport
into breast milk.  His e-mail adress is CBERLINPSU on pol.  I'll see if
I can forward this message to him by cc.>

I will call the 800 and speak with Laura
<great>
Lets plan for the Baby friendly topic the following Monday, That is very
important and should be a great topic of chatversation
<OK>
Could you and Jerry and Hoover go to
http://www.pedschat.org/register.htm and register
<I will pass this request to Jerry.  He may have already done it.  I
will see if Kay Hoover can get herself on since she is such a wonderful
resource.  She just gave me a slew of articles about the relationship
between breastfeeding and breast cancer protection -- the most recent
of which is the MA nurses study that finds no protective effect.  Every
time I ask her a science question, she does me a great service by
searching the literature for a dependable answer.>

At 07:01 PM 12/12/96 -0500, you wrote:
>I have suggested that the staff of the AAP get the Task Force members
>notified to come on line.  Sherry Lyons and Laura Aird can be reached
>with details and requests for ideas by first initial last name @aap.org
>as can all AAP staff and the Board.
>
>I suggest that we explore the list of criteria for Baby Friendly
>hospitals to see who works in a hospital that meets the criteria.  That
>would educate us all about the WHO criteria and would likely lead to
>some discussion about the appropriateness of the criteria.  Laura can
>give you the criteria in advance.  You can also call her at
>800/433-9016.  She is a very helpful person.
>
>Sue Aronson

I hope this stimulates many of the members of this list serve to join in
our sessions

Julius Edlavitch MD

                   International Pediatric Chat
             Julius Edlavitch M.D. from Minnnnnnesota

          International Pediatric Chat   ***http://www.pedschat.org***

                  "BABY FRIENDLY ORGANIZATION"

       "What wisdom can you have that is greater than kindness"