From:
Phil Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 1996 11:59:43 -0500
I delivered a 30 6/7 week baby almost eighteen years ago when I had
Hepatitis A.
The NICU staff checked with Centre for Disease Control in Atlanta at my
insistence and the baby received
only my milk, first by gavage tube and then at the breast.   The hospital
took many precautions with milk storage and I was not permitted to use
the hospital pumps. Baby also received immune globulin at birth and was
kept in isolation during his hospitalization.  He was discharged at 26
days, totally breastfed, and I have only good things to say about the
excellent hospital neonatologists and nursing staff.   Lawrence and
Auerbach both have references, and the most likely reason for the
premature birth is the hepatitis.   Good luck to this mother, Michael's
bilirubin never got as high as mine.   Eileen Shea, BSc, IBCLC