From:
Diana Dietz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 1996 11:39:06 -0800
And now the GOOD NEWS! Here's a news piece from a mainstream financial
tip publication called the BOTTOM LINE, Vol. 17, #23, Dec. 1, 1996:

"Did you know that...
breast-feeding is good for mom, too? Women who breast-fed for as little
as three to six months were 22% less likely to develop premenopausal
breast cancer as women who bottle-fed their babies from birth.
Breast-feeding for one year or more lowered risk by about 30%."

THAT one made my day! My mother died of premenopausal breast cancer 14
years ago (while I was pregnant with her first grandchild). She never
breastfed because her doctor told her not to, because SHE had numerous
food allergies. This was a woman who had natural childbirth in the days
when most laboring women were totally knocked-out (as opposed to
knocked-up, which also applies); she would have breastfed if not advised
otherwise. I suppose my deep regret over her untimely, and possibly
avoidable, death is part of my motivation to advocate breastfeeding and
NEVER EVER withhold breastfeeding facts from patients. Wish I could turn
back time...

Diana Dietz, RN, BSN    Georgia, USA
Diana Designs -- designs that celebrate breastfeeding and mothers
http://www.prairienet.org/community/health/laleche/diana.html