From:
toby gish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 1996 16:24:08 -0800
Dear Lactnetters. While I am waiting for the archives to send me info I
would like to know if anyone who works in NICU has protocols for using
breastmilk of a mother who is currently recuperating from Hepatitis A.
Today I saw a mother (La Leche mom) who became ill with Hepatitis A 3
weeks ago (30W). She delivered last night, 33 weeks, spontanious delivery
male preemie weighing 2200 grams. (Baby healthy) This mom has previously
breastfed 6 children and is very interested in bf this child. The head of
pediatrics is generally not supportive of bf and certainly not in this
case. The mother's bilirubin is going down - but she is still somewhat
icteric. I would appreciate information specific to preemies but would
take all info petaining to bf and Hep A. A bibliography would be blessed.
Sincerely Toby