From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 1996 15:12:49 +0800
 I am beginning to think the Dairy Farmers
>Assoc. has as much influence as the ABM companies, if not more! ;)

Heidi,

This is something I have a pet peeve about (is this an Aussie-ism? if so,
sorry, but you probably get my drift). In Australia, at least, the Dairy
Corporation is so powerful that it has the Government Health Departments
telling us all that dairy products are a major food group and *must* be
consumed every day by everyone. The more I learn about all this, the more I
realise this is not based on physiology of humans (many races are
relatively lactose-intolerant as adults, as are proportions of
milk-drinking races like Caucasians), but seems to be more related to
marketing of product. Like ABM companies, but more subtle? Likewise the
meat industry uses scare tactics to induce us to buy red meat, and
especially to give to babies so they don't end up anaemic!

Just MHO, and how it appears to me. Climbing down....

Joy Anderson IBCLC, NMAA Breastfeeding Counsellor
Perth, Western Australia