From:
Ruthy Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 23:13:41 -0500
posted on the 8th

>>And then there are the babies--like the boys who are circumsized soon after
>>birth--who basically shut down and sleep very deeply. I don't know what the
>>best course of action would be on these babies, other than to hold them
>>skin-to-skin and hope for that light sleep stage to cycle through.

recently we had a pediatrician say :

"circumcision has no impact on breastfeeding and there is no need to
postpone circ for a baby who is not breastfeeding well"

in light of early discharges we have been talking families into waiting
till a week or until breastfeeding is going well to have boy circumcisized
IF the baby is Not breastfeeding well.....at our hospital and in our
community the peds does the circs----and medicaid are done AFTER 28 days at
the health dept these are almost uniformly done under local block
anesthesia

most peds think this is ok as long as there is no re-imbursement
restriction ie. to having circs done in hospital: military/champus
"tricare"? etc. these are lucky babies that get to savor life before being
surgically altered and the mother's are lucky to get to enjoy the stressful
first weeks without also having to deal with a wound that potentially
bleeds or becomes infected and aa baby tht is "out of sorts" to say the
least....MY POINT?

the peds that says it's "a crock....." NOT to circ would like to see some
mainstream data on altered behaviour/feeding/pain in the newly circed
neonate

I'm wondering if any of you out there have a bib or data on circs impact on
newborn feeding. Anecdotally, WE ALL know (who have worked in newborn
nurseries or taken a new boy home) just how it affects baby boys! after all
isn't it sort of like an episiotomy?

aren't they entitled to feel "after pain" and either "shut down" or "act
ticked off and bearish" both behaviors affecting  appetite or eating
patterns?

greatly appreciate any cited input (especially)  this may impact policy.