Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Barbara Berges <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 1996 16:03:32 EST
I work as the LC in the hospital.  Because babies usually have their
days and nights mixed-up when they are newborn, they are content to sleep
in long stretches during the day and be awake and feed frequently during
the night.  Because moms operate on the opposite basis, we have had problems
having babies breastfed on the baby's own "schedule".  Many moms are
exhausted from labor, have too many daytime visitors that keep them from
napping, and just find it difficult to sleep during the day.  So if we
don't try to wake the babies to breastfeed every 3 hours during the day,
many moms become frustrated, overtired, and tell the Nursery staff to
take the baby, feed it abm in the Nursery, and they will BF in the morning.

Barb Berges, RN, IBCLC
Rochester, New York