From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 1996 17:25:43 +0800
Marie asked:
>In keeping with the colic topic, my partner and I have a question for you:
>What is gripe water?

This is an over-the-counter colic/wind treatment, that's been around in
Australia for many years. It's recently gone out of favour, probably
because the main active ingredient, alcohol, has been removed from it in
recent years. I've always considered it to be one step up from what we may
have been given as babies - a nip of brandy!! Without going out and getting
a bottle, I cannot tell you what else is in it, but I don't think it has
any 'real' drugs in it. Someone else may respond with more detail.

Sounds to me like the doc has run out of ideas for the cause of the colic
in this case, and has suggested this as it can't do much harm, and may just
help, even if it is only a placebo effect.

Do you know if they have tried chiropractic? If it was in Australia, it
would be unlikely, as conventional medicos will not generally refer to
these 'alternative practitioners', but I have seen and heard about many
'cures' from colic using this treatment.

Joy Anderson IBCLC, NMAA Breastfeeding Counsellor
Perth, Western Australia