From:
Sue Berres <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 1996 19:42:00 +0100
> Also, you may want to have your physician
<get you a referral to a physical therapist.  I was unaware till recently that
>there are physical therapists that work with infant feeding.  Make sure the one
>you use knows something about breastfeeding!  Most are only trained to teach
>infants to bottle-feed.

I suspect this is in reference to a post I made recently.  I just wanted
to say that it is usually *occupational* therapists who specialize in
infant feeding, rather than physical therapists.  Speech therapists
are also often involved.  Physical therapists *may* specialize in
this area, but it is very rare.  You are more likely to have success
if you start by looking for an OT or Speech Therapist.  Of course,
the bottom line is that they have, as you said, the expertise in
breastfeeding, no matter who it is that is providing the therapy!

Thanks for letting me clarify this!

Sue Berres, OTR, PT

Ah!  Yes, I am a PT as well as an OT . . . maybe that contributed to
the confusion!  But it is my OT role that I work with infant feeding.

> I may be dreaming here, but if you could find a pt who
>would do massage first, then assist with the nursing too, wow!

Now there's a thought!  :)  It hadn't occurred to me to combine
my dual roles THAT way . . .

Sue Berres