From:
Steven McKenzie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 1996 22:28:54 -0500

>I have read the posts  about your little Gaelin and my eyes filled with
>tears. How my heart aches for the grief you must feel! then I read your post
>>He began sucking, to my surprise and delight!<< how wonderful. I think you
>are on the right track but I wonder if feeding him with a  syringe is the
>best way to proceed. We've all seen babies who get addicted to the hardness
>of a syringe or a nipple shield. Perhaps fingerfeeding with a soft tube might
>be the better way to go.
>I'm thinking of you, hang in there.
>Marie Davis

Marie,

That is what we tried today... going back to finger feeding with a syringe.
This is exactly what we had done the first three mths. pp with him. But
after a couple sips, he began arching backward and crying angrily. Back to
square one...

>"I for one feel reproached
>for having not responded to this mother's pain, yet what could be said that
>is useful and not already stated? And if each Lactnut posted for each of
>many lactational crises, the digest would be huge indeed, and we would be
>overwhelmed in empathetic rather than informative comments.."
>
>Not to diminish Carrie's pain and suffering in this all-too difficult
>situation, I must say that Maureen is right.  If Lactnet was used as a place
>for personal help situations on a regular basis, I fear that things would
>get out of control very quickly, and that this is not the basic purpose of
>Lactnet.  Maureen, you are right.
>
>This does not mean that we cannot be empathetic to our colleague, within the
>bounds of our abilities, our time, our energies, and as it fits for each of
>us. I am sure we all would help if we possibly could.  Let us continue to
>make connections and to learn from each other...and to support as best we can.

I posted my problem and my questions AS a colleague with a genuine interest
in trying to solve this rotton problem.

If I had received a phonecall or had met in person with a woman with this
problem and had written a post asking all of your opinions and calling on
anyone with experience or suggestions THAT would have been okay. No?

The truth is, I was hoping for some advice from others who might be more
experienced in the area... or from others who might have ideas I personally
hadn't yet thought of... to save steps, pain, and trial and error.

To all of you who did reply in the past couple days (and prior) I cannot
thank you enough. You all know exactly what breastfeeding means to a woman
and deal in this area on a daily basis. My husband cannot say that. My
grandmother cannot say that. You all have made me to feel less alone in
solving -- or trying to solve -- this problem.

Thankyou.

Carrie