From:
Kate Hallberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 1996 14:05:56 -0700
The baby is two weeks old- It's the mom's third, he was born3 weeks early.
A pediatrician took him off the breast and put him on Similac at the
suggestion of a family physician.  here's the mom's email to me:

>He
>weighed 6lbs,12oz at birth and has lost down to 6lbs, 1/2oz as of
>yesterday. The doctor has put him on a formula diet to force calories for
>the next 24 hours.  I have been trying to pump in the interim, however my
>milk is diminishing rather rapidly.  Also, Joshua is  a sleepy
eater (he suckles pretty well for the firlt five minutes or so and then
goes to sleep).

He's peeing, not pooping much and is happy and alert most of the time.  He
had a small bowel movement three days ago before the formula that was small
with solid matter and was brown and fudgy at the end.  The baby grunted to
pass it.  I suggested a hospital grade pump, fenugreek and brewer's yeast,
lessening stress.  Her letdown is less reliable since she started pumping
and took him off the breast but it was fine before.  I think she should get
him back on the breast as well and offer formula after the unlimited
nursing- she said he was so sleepy it took an hour to get an ounce of
formula into him with a bottle.  He shows no signs of refusing the breast.
The only food she consumes in quantity is orange juice.

What else, and why the no breast orders?  She didn't know but was going to
inquire this afternoon.

Kate

Buy a friend a beer, and she'll waste an hour.  Teach a friend to brew and
she'll waste a lifetime.

http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~kolina/Home.html (my home page)
http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~grunwald/House.html   Buy our House!