From:
Kelley Rosenlund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 1996 15:49:38 -0500
>Our resident Bee-L veteran on these hives is James Satterfield, who has
>built several and is experiencing much success with them.   He sent me some
>wonderful photos of his neat, orderly apiaries. I look forward to stocking
>several new TB hives next spring.

        I hope to make two or three hives by spring and stock them by using
them as catch hives when I move hives from blueberry fields. Possibly may
use them to put swarms in during the orange flow. They will sure build the
comb on an orange flow!! My first swarm catching experience was on an orange
crop last spring. I was with my new friend Mr. Birt, a beekeeper for 33
years. We watched a swarm settle on an orange tree. We took two frames of
brood and put it in a 10 frame hive body (deep) with 8 frames of plastic
foundation. We shook the swarm into the hive box and slowly added the
frames. By the time the flow ended 2-3 weeks later all but the outer sides
of the outer frames were drawn and there was capped honey to boot!

What a joy...

        I believe memories of that first spring beekeeping will outlast
memories of my high school sweetheart.

        If we only could put all our energy for the good of the colony "of
beekeepers", as those bees did in that beautiful grove, instead of flaming
each other, we would all be better off.

       :;:;:
        0 0
        \_/

God Bless,
Kelley Rosenlund  [log in to unmask]
Gainesville, Florida, U.S.A., Phone:352-378-7510
200 hives, almost 2 years in beekeeping. 8 frame deeps,shallows.