From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 1997 11:04:58 -0800
On Fri, 10 Jan 1997, Vladimir Ptacek wrote:

> My oppinion is that chemical treetment connected with Varroa protective
> measures weaknes the resistence of colonies at general and this results in
> increasing appearence of diseases inclusive chalkbrood.
  Hi Vladimir, I'm very glad to see you still with us on Bee-l.In regards
to your post: I feel that some of the treatments for Varroa do weaken the
bees. Chalkbrood is a Fungi and it takes two different mycelium to touch
each other to reproduce. A drop in larva temp from 35 C to 30 C. will make
the larva most  susecptible. We do have different bee behavior do to
chemicals and viruses in our hives, do to the problem with Varroa. I
belive that there is a strong correlation between different bee Pathogens.
We are getting hit with more than Varroa. We have chalkbrood spores that
last up to 15 years in the hives and only need to have the right condition
to start to multiply. Some bees are less likely to get chalkbrood than
others.There is genetic work being done on that problem now.If you weaken
any bees by the use of Chemicals or, varroa you will have a problem with
chalkbrood. Less bees to keep the brood warm , will set off the fungi that
causes chalkbrood.( Ascophaera apis ) Sometimes in the spring beekeepers
can cause there own chalkbrood problems. Don't chill brood.

 Best Regards
 Roy