From:
Ronald Whynaucht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 1997 12:42:09 -0500
Happy New Year to all!

A mom/friend with a 4month old called today with the following question:
can the return of her period trigger a decrease in supply?  This is baby #
9, has breastfed all,including a set of twins.  Labor and delivery were
uncomplicated.  But, mom had post-partum tubal ligation, complicated by
bleeding into the abdomen,subsequent return to OR with an estimated blood
loss of 900cc.  Baby has been gaining well, but nurses "all day"  some
days.  One month ago, and again now, baby has been very fussy and seemingly
unsatiated after feedings, but only around the time of her period.  Mom was
away from baby for several hours Sat. and the caregiver gave him 2 bottles
of ABM.  The baby was the "happiest he's been in days".  So now, she's
questioning her supply.  This mom is also an OB nurse and is wondering
about the coincidence to her periods, hormone levels and what she can do to
prevent these very difficult days.  We discussed stress levels, sleep
deprivation, etc. etc.  I wonder if it could be related to the
complications after T.L. (blood loss), but the baby has been gaining very
well (Ped. suggested cereal!!!   :(   why???).   Mom does not feel that it
is a lack of stimulation-----I have to agree, knowing her mothering and
attention to him :)

What do the rest of you think?  We also discussed growth spurts and the
coincidental timing of her periods.

Thanks for your input!  I agree with SO many who have posted their
amazement with the wealth of knowledge here!!

Barb Whynaucht, RN IBCLC
P.S.  Jeannette or Pam-----do you want to send some of the heat and
sunshine to frigid, gray, snowy central Wisconsin??