From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 1996 11:22:29 +0800
Jay wrote:
>Since birth, mom has had a lot of hair loss.  Handfuls coming out.  Hubby is
>starting to tease her about going bald.  Hair is getting extremely thin at
>temples.  Mom is ready to wean because she thinks that BF is the cause.  She
>has been told that the cause is her hormones, but without any references, she
>refuses to believe this.  She had no probs like this after the birth of first
>baby.
>So question is, are there any references or studies about hair loss after
>pregnancy and the relation of hair loss to hormones?
>All help will be appreciated!

Jay,
The following is a post I sent to Lactnet last December when this subject
came up.

What a coincidence that I have just been writing about post-partum hair
loss, called "telogen effluvium", for NMAA, so I have to reply on this one.
There is a paper in NMAA Regional Information Service File (by Jenny
Stuchberry in 1988), on this that explains the phenomenom, and it is *not*
caused by breastfeeding. This paper suggests the mother seek a medical
opinion as there are several medical causes of hair loss, including thyroid
disorder and iron deficiency. If disease is ruled out, she can be reassured
that it is not due to breastfeeding, but more likely to pregnancy and the
stress of childbirth. It seems it is likely to be a combination of
less-than-normal hair loss during pregnancy (which is why pregnant women
often have such beautiful thick hair), with a resulting increase of hair
loss after the baby is born, plus loss that can occur following a stressful
event. Examples of these can include fever, hormonal changes or some drugs.
Childbirth can be included in this. The hair loss is not immediate, but
occurs about 3 to 4 months following the stressful situation. The typical
pattern in new mothers is hair loss starting 2 to 4 months post-partum, and
continuing for 2 to 5 months. The paper actually describes the process of
hair growth and loss in general, which is quite interesting. The references
given at the end of the paper are:

Wade TR, Wade SL & Jones HE "Skin changes and diseases associated with
pregnancy" Obstetrics and Gynaecology 52(2) August 1978

Aldridge RD "Hair loss" British Medical Journal 289 13th October 1984

I hope this helps

Joy Anderson IBCLC, NMAA Breastfeeding Counsellor
Perth, Western Australia