From:
Thomas Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Dec 1996 15:02:18 GMT
Debbie Albert asked about frenotomy.
Attitudes to frenotomy here seem to be much the same as in the US. I have
counselled many mothers whose babies have this condition, but very few
actually managed to get the frenulum snipped. There is one paediatrician
that I know of locally who is in favour of the operation, but the majority
will not attempt a correction until 2 or even 3 years, if it is *proved*
that speech is being impaired. The fact that breastfeeding is painful or
even impossible seems to cut no ice at all. I did have one notable success,
where the mother had been very assertive and persistent in trying to get
treatment. Before the frenotomy, her baby found breastfeeding extremely
difficult, but on the way home from hospital after the operation, she had a
really good feed and did not look back. Last I heard, the baby was still
breastfeeding at 2 years! I have found that the articles published in JHL
have been very useful in persuading GPs/midwives/paediatricians that this
is not a terrible procedure. I also have a feature, with case histories,
which was produced for New Generation Digest back in 1993, which I could
fax or snailmail to anyone interested.

Jane Moody, NCT Breastfeeding counsellor/tutor; editor of New Generation
Digest.