From:
"Linda J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 22:04:37 -0500
Rebecca Williams writes: <<A mother called me last month, and then again today, about her baby's bowel movements.  The baby is about 6 months old.  For the past couple
months he has only been having bowel movements once every 14 days
(approximately).>>

I've seen this pattern a number of times. The baby seems to store up enough stool to have one big blowout, as if they need lots of "it" to trigger the anal reflex. And they usually"go" when breastfeeding, often after the first side. One theory I heard long ago is that sucking and putting milk in the top helps trigger the response to let stuff out the other end. (no wisecracks on my fancy medical terminology).

If the baby is otherwise well, just be prepared to do lots of cleanup that day. My friend Myrna's baby Jack pooped once a week, on Friday mornings, for a several-month stretch.  She visited me one Friday morning, and the evidence of (1) his health and (2) his elimination abilities was obvious.

Linda Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC - private practice, Dayton OH
Bright Future Lactation Resource Centre http://www.bflrc.com/bflrc.htm