From:
David Wernick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 1996 18:53:15 +0200
Hello,

I get many calls from moms with premature babies and moms with babies born
small due to high blood pressure since I gave birth this year to a
premature baby weighing 1485, about three pounds at the 36 week.

I would appreciate being contacted by someone who is knowledgeable of the
growth rates of premature babies. I have a number of questions in regards
to their growth. For example, is the growth of a premature baby born at a
low birth weight found to be fine when its curve on the chart follows the
general shape only below the lowest curve on a growth chart? Are there
growth charts specific to premature babies? Are there any charts that would
be correct for the premature baby? Till what age does the "corrected age"
have relevance? What basis is there to support that a premature baby,
totally breastfed, can be given solids at a corrected age similar to a baby
born at term, i.e. 6 months? Is it possible that the motor development of a
premature baby that is needed for accepting food and swallowing occur later
than other motor skills, i.e. sitting and holding toys.

Most times during lectures, the one talking says their comments about
growth do not apply to premature babies. I have found some support in the
literature about starting solids at a normal "corrected" age, but not
enough. I would like to get more information since I am now referred
mothers who experience a birth like mine.

Thank you.
Devorah Schesch-Wernick
APL, HRE Instructor LLL-Israel
e-mail [log in to unmask]