From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 25 Dec 1996 10:57:21 -0600
> I have used paraffin to coat the inside of top tray feeders and
> have NOT been satisfied,  it has usually flaked and chipped.
> Unless the rosin has a very marked effect on the wax (I don't know
> about this, although I have used rosin and rosin oil and beeswax
> to make flypaper) the wood must be VERY dry and the wax VERY hot
> and this is VERY dangerous.

We use paraffin for our forklift pallets, with no hassel whatsoever.

> I do not believe that you could keep the wax hot enough to penetrate the
> wood without having the heat source right under the vessel you are dipping
> in (if you were doing any amount) and it is unlikely that you could dip
> without some dripping and splashing.  Splashing wax and heat source is a
> FIRE HAZARD so bee careful.

We use a 300,000 BTU propane torch under a 4' X 50" tank -- outdoors.  With
reasonable care and rubber gloves, the whole thing is no big deal.
The wax smokes a bit, and there is the remote possibility of the
fumes igniting due to carelessnes, so outdoors is the way to go.

Moisture content of the wood does not seem to have any bearing on
success.  Damp wood just takes a bit longer and foams more.

We did lids and floors 15 years ago, and some of the floors are now
showing rot on the skids where they contact the ground.

> Splashing wax can also burn badly.  <etc.>

You have to use your head, that's for sure. But with simple
precautions, it is very safe.

BTW We are considering using a new product we saw at the ABA
convention last fall that requires no heat and apparently seals wood
very well.  It actually *requires* the wood to be damp before
dipping. It costs about $900 Canadian for a drum 55 US Gals.

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>