Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Attie Sandink <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 1997 22:52:43 -0500
To all:
        I feel that I have been challenged to make a presentation on
tongue-tie. After speaking to one of our peads. about this topic,I heard
that all the pediatricians had their thursday morning rounds and one of the
subjects discussed was  Attie and all those tongue-ties that are now being
found. Apparently I'm getting mothers to go crying to one of our local Ent.
doctors, who although he will clip them, wonders why they are all needing to
be done. This was concurred by the rest of the Pediatricians, 2 males and 3
females. All the refernces I gave them supposedly were only research and
papers presented by Lactation Consultants not real Doctors ( they haven't
yet read Alison's extensive bibliography.) I am unnecesarily upsetting these
mothers. --- But I've upset them so much that they come back to me with
bunches of flowers or some other little gift of thanks because their baby is
much less fussy and the breasts are now empting and nipples are no longer
raw etc.
        I heard about their little "bitch" session from my nurse manager.
She said that even the child psycologist put his "two cents worth" in.  For
a little while I thought that these "professionals on their pedestal's"
where actually asking me to see their little patients and their moms because
they respected my knowledge and experience. Now I'm not so sure. When I
first heard that I had been their topic of discussion I felt like I had been
kicked in the "gut" ( sorry for that expression) but now I'll take it as a
challenge.
        I have now suggested that my moms take their children, by referral
of course, from their Family Doc.(and of course I should tell them to go
crying) to an area pediatric surgeon who also said that he doesn't mind
helping me with my presentation. I'm not sure I'm up to this but what the
heck, this is just another one of those challenges sent to try LCs. This is
when I remind myself of Kathleen A's comments at the bottom of her posts.
        I'm sorry for my long story about a day in the life of a Lactation
Cosultant but it just helps to share.

Attie Sandink RN. IBCLC.