From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Oct 1996 13:45:06 -0400
Hi All,
Wanted to give you an update on a client of mine who has a few interesting
probs.

THis mom has a low milk supply, and has had it since day 1.  (This happened
with her 1st baby, too)  SHe has adequate glandular tissue, and has been
tested for thyroid and hormonal imbalances.  She pumps regularly and is
taking herbs to help increase her supply.  Baby was a premie, but was BF at
least every other feed until last week.  Last week mom ended up in the hosp
with a blood clot in her leg (Goes from mid calf to just above her knee!).
 Mom has been on IV Heparin since admittance.
Two days ago they discovered another blood clot in her lung.  The clot in her
leg is showing minimal improvement with the drug therapy.  Dr's ran some more
tests and discovered that her blood is thicker than normal (anyone hear of
this?).  They are also running tests to see if she has Lupus.  (I don't know
a thing about Lupus, any info out there?)
My questions are:
**Could thicker blood cause a problem with a milk supply (I know I am
probably reaching here, but we can't figure out why her supply is so
low----was only getting max 7mls per breast per 2.5 hr pumping.  Now at hosp
on Heparin getting 15 mls per breast per 3 hr pumping....  Gee, could Heparin
be a glactogogue?)
**What are the effects of Lupus on a milk supply?

All info appreciated on this interesting mystery!

TIA!!
Jay