From:
Jan Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 1997 15:43:32 -0500
In a message dated 97-01-25 14:31:30 EST, Katharine West notes:

<< Saline solutions used for dressing soaks by nurses are always "Normal
 Saline" solutions - in this case, "normal" has the distinct chemistry
 definition of  9 percent  sodium in one (1) Liter of water (1/4 teaspoon
 in a small cup is way too much) >>

Well, for what it is worth, I had my dh, the pharmacist, figure out how to
make a normal saline solution at home.  You need 2.16 grams of salt in 1 cup
(240 cc) of water.  There is 1.5 gm of salt in 1/4 tsp; therefore, you need
slightly over 1/4 tsp of salt to a measuring cup of water.  That will give
you normal saline.  Katharine is right, 1/4 teaspoon in a SMALL cup is too
much.  You have to use a measuring cup -- 8 ounces.  Most smallish (as in
teacups) are about 5 ounces, not 8.

So, a normal saline solution for cracked nipples sounds really good to me.

A question about the studies that indicated that the warm water compresses
"worked" the best.  One of the interesting parts about the studies was that
they were done during the time the moms were engorged.  My question (perhaps
naive) about the warm water compresses was that as I recall, they used breast
pads which covered a fair amount of breast tissue.  Did they work because
they promoted letdown, felt good to the breast r/t engorgement, or because
they truly helped the soreness of the NIPPLE vs the soreness of the BREAST?
 Some moms seemingly can't tell the difference.  "My breasts hurt.  It's
really painful" upon questioning find out she's really talking about the
nipples.

Comments?

Jan Barger -- here in Wheaton watching the sun glint off the new fallen snow.
 Now all we need is jingle bells & Santa Claus!