Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Lisa Hawkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 19:39:23 -0800
I was hoping one of you out there could help me with a situation that has
me (and several of my co-workers) puzzled. The woman in question breastfed
2 children successfully, then had a surgical procedure to treat an infected
duct, She now has a scar, about 2" long above her right areola. The scar
tissue is rather wide and thick.

She is now attempting to breastfeed her third child. The right nipple will
not protrude for the infant to latch on properly. Out Lactation Educator
has tried all the treatments she can think of to work with this (warm
compresses to releive any engorgement, ice and pumping to bring out the
nipple). The nipple will begin to protrude a little, but remains flatter
than before (presurgery). The upper side of the areola is swollen as if the
milk is not coming through some of the ducts.

The mother is nursing on the unaffected breast, then placing the child on
the right side to nurse. If not successful, she pumps the right side and
gives in a bottle.

My questions are: Why would a scar above the areola affect the texture of
the areola? and what other suggestions might be appropriate for this
mother?

Thanks in advance,

Lisa Hawkins, MPH, RD
Merced WIC