From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Nov 1996 12:34:18 +0800
>Dear fellow netters, one of our nurses has a 5 mo. old with severe =
>eczema.  He had eczema starting at about 2 1/2 - 3 mo. of life.  Was =
>breastfed exclusively before eczema started.  Mom supplements on =
>Lactofree while she is at work

Dani,
My bet would be on the cow's milk protein in the formula, if, as Cindy
pointed out, this formula has only had the lactose modified. This would be
no better than regular formula if the baby is intolerant to cow's milk
protein. If this mum really cannot express her milk in place of using
formula, she may be better off trying a soy formula, and avoiding cow's
milk in the solids too. However, many babies with cow's milk protein
intolerance also go on to develop soy protein intolerance, I think. Keep on
encouraging her to pump!

 >She has seen a dermatologist who tells her that nothing =
>in her diet could cause eczema for her baby, and that because it is =
>hereditary, there is no cure - only topical prescription ointments (that =
>have cost her hundreds of dollars) will partially control the symptoms.

This fellow could do with a little education!! Maureen, you could tell him
a thing or two!

Joy Anderson IBCLC, NMAA Breastfeeding Counsellor
Perth, Western Australia