From:
Paul & Kathy Koch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 1997 15:37:57 -0500
Hi,

I will briefly reintroduce myself as its been quite a while since I
posted.  I am a LLL Leader and AAPL.  I am studying frantically for the
LC exam this summer.  I am also the mother of three breastfed children.

I just got a call from the mother of a 6 week old, looking for a reason
to wean her baby.  Among other things she said she read last year about
a study indicating that breastfeeding women were at a higher risk for
heart attacks.  About the same time she saw the article, a close friend,
who was the breastfeeding mother of a young baby, died suddenly of a
heart attack at age 32.  This, of course, has been brewing in this
woman's head since the fall and she says she is convinved she is going
to have a heart attack when her baby is at the breast.

I told her that I could not address the specifics of the article she
read as I hadn't seen it but that I read about breastfeeding on a daily
basis and have information from the greatest minds on this subject, and
I had never seen so much as a mention of this, but, I would see if I
could find this study. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I didn't want to discount her fears, because, although I think they are
unfounded, they are real to her.  I think Dr. Newman will tell me we are
again sacraficing breastfeeding on the altar of ignorance!  I would like
to educate this mom!

Thanks,
Kathy Koch
Alexandria, VA