From:
Sulman Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jan 1997 16:24:01 -0600
For those LCs working with Orthodox Jewish women, a helpful resource is the
book, "Straight From the Heart: A Torah Perspective on Mothering Through
Nursing," by Tehilla Abramov and Malka Touger, Targum Press, 1990.  The
dust jacket on the book identifies the author as an IBCLC.  The book
includes endorsements from a number of rabbis and a pediatrician in Israel
who seem very supportive of nursing in their comments.  I only wish that
Abramov would update the book in a new edition, to reflect changes since
its 1990 publication in areas such as treatment of thrush, relactation,
breast pumps and other breastfeeding aids.  The listed resources and
references also need to be updated.  Otherwise, this book should meet the
needs of those counseling women following a strictly observant religious
life.

"Straight From the Heart" does not mention birth control, but Abramov's
earlier book, "The Secret of Jewish Femininity" very well might provide
some of the resources Nofia is seeking. I have not read it, though. If you
would like more information, please e-mail me privately.

Anne Altshuler, RN, MS, IBCLC in icy Madison, Wisconsin