From:
"Jane A. Bradshaw" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 1996 21:46:10 -0400
Dear Lactnetters,
Does anyone have experience with obtaining insurance reimbursement for
mothers who use pumps other that the usual hospital grade pumps?
 Specificially, has anyone had an insurance co. pay for the new
"Pump-in-style", "pedal pump", "mini-electric", or Bailey medical's "Nuture
III" or "Double-up pump"?
I have had several mothers come and purchase a Pumpl-in style after the baby
was born, THEN they truly had breastfeeding problems and absolutely needed
the pump for medical reasons.  I have been giving them one of my superbills
and filling it out with all the information and urging them to submit the
charges just as they would for one of the rented pumps.  Today it happened
with the pedal pump.  Mom came in --has to stop nursing because her 10 day
old baby has a billi of 13 (it was 14 yesterday and isn't coming down fast
enough to suit the doctor--but that is another story---grrrrrr), and must
formula feed for the weekend.  She wants the pedal pump.  So with the
prescription and superbill in hand I sent her off to submit it to her
insurance.
Has anyone had a company pay for any of these pumps?
Jane Bradshaw  LLLL, BSN, IBCLC
Private Practice in Lynchburg, VA