From:
Martin S Gaynor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 1996 23:40:19 -0500
Thanks to those who have responded to my post about this. However, I am
still not clear on something:  I realize that the drug itself is ok as
far as breastfeeding.  However, according to Tom Hale's book ('95 ed.),
"Breastfeeding in women positive for herpetic infections is problematic
due to possible transmission of virus to infant."

This mom is in the midst of an outbreak. So I am assuming this is why
she was told to pump and dump.  When I talked with her, we both
concurred that it sounded like the meds was ok, but the fact that the
virus is active is what makes the bfing not ok right now.  somehow she
is thinking that by Friday is will be ok to resume the bfing(this was
Monday that she called me).
I think it will have been a week on the meds by then.

Can anyone enlighten me more on this?? She sure would like to resume
bfing ASAP. I am not assuming that her doc knows anything valid about
bfing in this situation.
TIA,
Ellen Vegh, LLLL, Pittsburgh, PA