From:
Mary Renard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 1996 13:33:38 -0400
One note:  I heard some years ago that the Lyme's Disease Foundation (may
not have title right) did *not* provide good information about continuing to
breastfeed....  took the classic "better safe than sorry" (safe = ABM, HUH?)
approach and recommended weaning from the breast.  Last I heard, they had
been provided with good information and had not changed their materials.
Maybe their stuff is better now.  One can hope!

BTW, Lyme's when it is detected early is treated with simple antibiotics -
like Amoxicillin - that are regularly given to infants as well.  My
understanding from having had three family members treated for Lyme's (!) is
that if it is treated promptly it is not the nightmare disease that it
becomes if it remains undetected.  (And yes, I know this is not a scientific
survey!)

Mary Renard
Vienna  VA  USA
looking for IBCLCs who passed the exam in 1991:  if you haven't sent in your
recertification materials yet, please contact me ASAP!
Mary Riley Renard, RN, BSN, IBCLC
CERP/Recertification Coordinator
Int'l Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners (IBLCE)
P O Box 2348
Falls Church  VA  22042-0348  USA
Tele 703-560-7330
Fax 703-560-7332