From:
Denhez Louise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 1996 21:50:24 -0400
Sorry about the subject line... I have not found a way to write the
comercial a symbol , nor edit the message bulletwith this very old and
strange program that comes with this outdated network I ahave a account
in ...My subjet line should read: pumping... no milk !

Help ! I received a
phone call today, and I do not know what to say...

Mother of a 10 weeks old baby, has been pumping with quality hospital
grade pump all that time, since baby had cardiac malformation. Baby was
successfully operated on, and is now at home.

Since the beginning, mother has never succeeded to pump more than 50 ml
from both breast in one setting.  Pumped often, relaxed, used all the
tricks in the book.  Blames the stress of having a wee one in NICU.  Is
now taking Tagamet (I did not know it was effective in increasing the
milk supply...), with no change.  Mother is very determined, gives
whatever she pumps then supplements with bottle.  To help, baby is very
wary of anything put in her mouth (but knows about pacifiers, thus
accepts the bottle readily)...

This was a "cold call".  I did not know what to say.  I did suggest a lot
of skin to skin contact, of which both mother and child have been
deprived, and I promised to look into Reglan and Lactnet.

Louise Denhez, M.D., M.P.H
Chargee d'enseignement clinique
Departement de medecine sociale et preventive