From:
JoAnn Barham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Aug 1996 09:52:56 -0500
Hello! I've been NO MAIL for many months, and have finally returned.
This topic always interests me, as I have had different experiences with
co-sleeping.

It never occurred to me to co-sleep with my first child, until he was
three months old (after attending my first LLL Meeting). Nursing was
going fine, but he was very much a high-need and unhappy baby. I did lie
down to nurse him by day, and often dozed off. I'd awaken with a start,
feeling panicked and guilty that I had dozed off while nursing him.

After hearing about co-sleeping, we tried it. We had a difficult time
with it, as he'd gotten accustomed to sleeping alone. He was a very
light sleeper, any little noise or motion woke him up. We tried it on
and off for his first few years of life. (As he grew older, he knew he
was welcome to come in, but could seldom fall asleep with us.)

While pregnant with my second son, I told my husband, "This one isn't
leaving our bed!" and he agreed. Timothy was an easy-going little guy
who loved to snuggle in the bed with us. He still likes to sleep with us
(at almost four years old).

Because co-sleeping had worked so well the second time, we naturally
planned to do the same with our third son. His temperament was more like
his oldest brother's; not quite as high-need, but definitely very
sensitive and wakeful. I was concerned that co-sleeping might be
difficult with him, but it hasn't been a problem. He is 16 months old
now, and I believe the only reason I feel rested at all is because he is
in with us. He nurses frequently at night. He doesn't nap much during
the day, unless we're in the car.

The best thing about co-sleeping (aside from the cuddling!) is that we
don't obsess with when our kids will sleep all night. We enjoy them at
every stage of development. We know their needs are being met. Our
children are happy knowing they are welcome in our room and bed when
they need to be there. (And for those who worry about Mom and Dad's time
alone -- Dr. Williams Sears and his wife address this in their book,
"Nighttime Parenting." They have eight children, and don't seem to have
had any problem finding the time OR place!) :)
--
JoAnn Pomper Barham, LLLL in OKC
Mom to Matthew (6/4/90), Timothy